Sunday, June 5, 2011

Potato Project

This potato had one tiny eye on it when I pulled it out the cabinet. 
It was going a little soft too (that's what she said).

So. I decided to plant it. Okay "plant it" is more like stick it in a jar of water. I think we did this several times when I was at kid. We kept a sweet potato for a long time. I know you usually stick toothpicks in the potato around a wide rimmed jar but I had neither a larger jar nor toothpicks. So this is what I got:

 May 29, 2011



About two weeks (I think?) after I "planted" it.

June 5, 2011
I LOVE the alien tentacle coming out of the bottom. I want it to sprout some leaves.
Note our curtains. Pretty neat.

As a side note, did you know that lots of decorative/landscape leaves are sweet potato plants?
I bet you've seen it before and didn't know it...
Mine is a plain ol' brown potato, though.




 This next one is my favorite. It's called "Black Heart". I want one.
 
Instructions for growing a potato (casually, not for eating later on)
1. Get a potato ( It's probably better if it has eyes already growing).
 2. Stick it in a jar so that the bottom is touching the water. You can use a jar with a bigger mouth and then stick toothpicks around the circumference of the potato to hold it up. I did not do that. I stuck it in there willy-nilly. It's called reckless abandon.

No comments: