Thursday, March 3, 2011

San DiegoThrift Store Review: #1 Veteran's Thrift Store, Spring Valley


Not too terribly located off the 125 highway, Veteran's is a fun little shop that I would recommend. I would say it's medium sized, prices are usually pretty good, and the people are nice. Especially if you've just come from AmVets, this place will seem like heaven! (which is always the case. . . look for a review of AmVets to come)



They have a lot of linens and fabric. The green sheet in the picture above was too coincidental! I bought this same sheet when I lived in Kentucky at the Village Discount Outlet... I sewed a dress from it.





 They have this cool display case with interesting sewing things, like scissors, thimbles, old needle books, buttons and more. Everything locked in there seemed a  bit pricey from what I could tell, but I still liked it.
They have a bunch of signs that say "Ask employees for help with knitting needles" or something close to that. I'm glad I did, because they had quite a few - pairs even!


They close a little early for my tastes, at 6:30, but it could be worse.


Overall, this is definitely a place I would recommend. They have enough quirky things to keep it interesting, without the fuss of AmVets. It's a thrift store I can get behind. The people that work there are helpful and I found the prices to be good. They have a  large parking lot, so that's not an issue-- but beware the steep grade going into the parking lot. I've witnessed many a car bottom out. I wouldn't go here for clothes though. Dishes, knick-knacks, linens, etc = yes. Clothes = not a great selection.


Directions:

If you look on a map, this place is confusingly located near 'Skyline', 'Jamacha Lomita', and  'Spring Valley'. From just about anywhere in San Diego, you're gonna want to get on the 125 highway. From Downtown, National City, or North County- head east on either I-8 or the 54 highway. Don't be tempted to go down Imperial Ave. You make this that's a good idea, but it's just not.  Take a look at a map if you don't believe me.

From the 54 highway: Head East (and North) the 54 intersects with the 94 and continue North until the Jamacha Rd Exit. Turn left off the exit. Turn left at Cardiff Rd and the store is on your left.

From the 94 highway: head east until the 125. Head south on the 125. Take the Jamacha Rd Exit and turn right, then left at Cardiff. The Store is on your left.

No comments: