Wednesday, March 9, 2011

San Diego Thrift Store Review: #2 AmVets, Spring Valley/Lemon Grove

AmVets, Spring Valley


Are you ready for the second installment of the San Diego Thrift Store Review? Yes? Good. This one's not quite as positive.

Located not far from, and not to be confused with, the Veteran's Thrift Store in Spring Valley, the AmVets Thrift Store is interesting, if not crowded. Not as easily accessible as Veterans- which this just off the 94-this thrift store is in a funky spot. If you're headed to Veteran's, I would suggest stopping by AmVets as well because it's not too far.


The pros of this place are as follows:
Large size, with lots and lots of interesting stuff. I once found these old coasters that were AMAZING but I didn't buy them and have been kicking myself ever since. I also found these gems the last time I went:

(at my house...the store doesn't have carpet...)
A crazy bronze colored anchor clock and the book Fantastic Fit for Every Body which has gotten great reviews from everyone I've met. And guess what's even better? It was in a bag!



I love me some bags of crazy goodness! Seriously. Granted they can be full of weird stuff, but there are gems to be had! They have these all over the store in various strategic (not) spots.

It doesn't look packed, but it was! I'm eager to find the least-busy time to go on my next visit.

I'll sum up my cons like this:

Clothing section is abysmal. Well. It's large but there's nothing good except for faded forver21 shirts that are grossly overpriced.
Also, the customer service leave something(a lot) to be desired. But I won't go into that.
Cash Only.
Crowded.
Overall dirtier feel.
No natural light.(Nit-picky, but true) 

Beware: They close at 6pm!

But like I said, if you're in the neighborhood going to Veterans Thrift Store, stop by this place and peruse the back back wall for the cool home accessories.

Directions:
I always come from the SDSU area and I go down -through Lemon Grove-some obscure back roads(Skyline Dr) until it turns into Cardiff Rd and then it's on the left. However, if you can get to CA-125, take the Jamacha Rd exit, head west, you'll pass the Veteran's Thrift Store on your left and then turn right at Jamacha. It's on the corner.


Previous Thrift Store Review Posts



No comments: